Readers on the Run is a five-kilometer footrace with two stops for creation of magnetic poetry. Entrants are awarded prizes based on Best Poem, Best Costume (and sometimes also Best Group Costume), and best times in Men's, Women's, and Kids' categories.
The race is a fundraiser for the John Trigg Ester Library. Funds are raised from sales of t-shirts (this year a limited number of gray hoodies are also available) with a design created by a local artist, entry fees, race sponsors, and this year, donation pledges gathered by the race entrants themselves. Come watch this hoot of a race and cheer on your favorite runner, run as a family or group, buy a t-shirt or sweatshirt from this year or races past, and help build a library for Ester and the west end of the borough!
- Date: Sunday morning, 11 am, October 9, 2011
- Race Start: 500 Village Road, Ester (across from the Ester Post Office at the Ida Lane Clausen Gazebo)
- Same-day registration: begins at 9 am at the Ida Lane Clausen Gazebo
- Check-in time: 10 am, Ida Lane Clausen Gazebo
- Registration fee: $10 before October 7, $15 October 8-9 (check to JTEL or cash)
- Awards presented after the race at the Golden Eagle Saloon. Minors, please bring your parents. Minors must have the signature of a parent or guardian to participate in the race.
- Entry forms: available on line or at the Annex, Beaver Sports, Ester Post Office, Gold Hill Liquor & Gas, Goldstream Sports, Gulliver's Books, and Toy Quest.
- Runner pledge forms: available on line or with the registration form.
If you are interested in helping out as a race volunteer, please contact Nancy Burnham at 457-6668. We can use your help!
We've had many great sponsors this year, with the major ones being Everything Auto & Detail, Gold Hill Liquor & Gas, Taylored Restoration Services, and WV Builders. Other sponsors include Drs. Andrea Earnest & Eric Buetow, Graphic North Printers, Innovation Consulting, Hans Mölders carpenter, McRoy & Blackburn Publishers, Ronn Murray Photography, Stellar Communications, Tandem Enterprises, Water Wagon, and Winterhouse Inc, and many individuals besides. In-kind donors are Ester Designworks, Gulliver's Books, Interior Graphics, and Taylor's Gold-N-Stones, plus the many businesses that have helped us by putting up posters and providing registration forms and envelopes. Please help us thank these generous businesspeople by stopping in to their shops and giving them your custom.
Below are the t-shirt designs from each year of the race:
2011: design by Deirdre Helfferich
2010: design by Amy Cameron
2009: design by Inari Kylänen
2008: design by Dan Darrow